The Feed – Friday, May 4th

Ugh Raptors, Hawaiian volcano erupts & an expensive snack!




  • The Toronto Raptors are being caged-in during these NBA playoffs and it’s not looking good!  LeBron James had 43 points and 14 assists to lead the Cavaliers to a 128-110 throttling of Toronto on Thursday, and takes a 2-0 lead in their second-round series back home to Cleveland, where the Raptors have never won in five playoff games.
(photo courtesy of The Canadian Press)
  • A man has died after falling at a workplace near Highway 400 and Finch Avenue West.  Toronto Police tell 680 NEWS they were called at around 12:45 p.m.  The man, believed to be in his 50s, was unconscious and bleeding when an ambulance arrived.  Paramedics immediately began performing CPR on the man and he was rushed to hospital.  Police later tweeted that he has passed away.  The Ministry of Labour is investigating.



  • Proposed class-action lawsuits have been filed against a pair of Ontario-based long-term care providers, claiming the companies were “systemically negligent” toward residents in their care.  Statements of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court against Extendicare Inc. and Sienna Senior Living Inc., allege the companies breached their responsibilities to patients.  The suits allege patients were left with untreated bedsores and other ailments, with one woman’s wounds even becoming infested with maggots.  The lawsuits seek a total of $300 million in damages from the two companies, including $100 million each in “aggravated and punitive damages.”  None of the allegations have been proven in court.



  • Hawaii’s Kilauea Volcano has erupted, sending molten lava through forest land and forced it to bubble up on paved streets.  The eruption and earthquake has forced about 15-hundred people to leave their homes.


Say What?!

  • Olesja Schemjakowa of France had coffee and cake at a cafe in Switzerland. Her bill was $23.76. When it was time to settle the bill, she accidentally entered her PIN code (7686) as the tip on the cafe’s terminal device. She didn’t realize her mistake until she was back home and got her bank statement in the mail and saw that she’d been charged $7,732 for the snack.  She called her credit card company and asked them to reverse the charges but they told her they wouldn’t help her because the charge was not fraudulent. She then called the cafe owner, who agreed to refund the money, but soon stopped communicating with her. Schemjakowa then learned that the cafe owner had filed for bankruptcy and shut down the cafe.  Now she is not sure she will ever be able to get her money back.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *