The Feed – Tuesday, April 24th

Toronto van attack, Brown lawsuit & Royal baby #3

 

Toronto/GTA

  • Makeshift memorials have been built, not far from the site of Monday’s devastating van attack in Toronto’s north end.  Witnesses describe seeing “bodies all over the place” after a white rental van mounted a sidewalk and hit pedestrians on a busy stretch of Yonge Street, just north of the 401.  In the end, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders says 10 people died, 15 other were hurt.

  • The suspect driving the white rental van was later stopped by Toronto Police and arrested without incident.  The Toronto Police officer who arrested the suspect is being credited for his actions, after the suspect initially pulled out an item and began pointing it at the officer.  The officer recognized that it wasn’t a gun, and took the man into custody.

 

  • Appearing in a Toronto court today, 25-year-old Alek Minassian of Richmond Hill was formally charged with 10 counts of first degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder.  He was remanded into custody and will make his next court appearance on May 10th.

  • One of the victims killed in Monday afternoon’s van attack in Toronto has been identified by family to CityNews as Anne Marie D’Amico.  She worked with Tennis Canada and the Badminton and Racquet Club of Toronto.

  • Toronto Police say the area will be closed off for a few days while they complete their extensive investigation.  There will also be limited transit through the area as police comb over a large crime scene.  So far, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says there is nothing to indicate this is related to terrorism or he is part of an organized terror group.

 

Ontario/Canada

  • Former Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown has filed a defamation lawsuit against CTV News over its reporting of alleged cases of sexual misconduct.  Brown stepped down in January, hours after the CTV report.   In his statement of claim, the Barrie politician says CTV and its reporters failed to properly scrutinize and verify the allegations of two women, which date back to his time as a federal MP.  He is seeking $8 million in damages.

 

World

  • The Duchess of Cambridge gave birth Monday to a healthy baby boy — a third child for Kate and Prince William and fifth in line to the British throne.  The couple’s Kensington Palace office announced news of the birth around lunchtime, about five hours after the 36-year-old duchess and her husband travelled by car from their Kensington Palace to the private Lindo Wing of St. Mary’s Hospital in central London.  The palace said the baby prince was born at 11:01 a.m. local time and weighed in at eight pounds, seven ounces (3.8 kilograms). Prince William was in attendance, and the palace said mother and child were both doing well.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *